Monday, June 7, 2010

Copywright 101

It is very difficult to teach in-text citations and works cited pages to students. Even though I will show the students how to format it and then later give them ways to cheat like using easybib.com or bibme.org . I still get students who will think that citing a source is simply copying and pasting the URL onto their works cited page. However to say that, you need to only, "Create all graphic and textual content from scratch: if it is original, no copyright issues should be encountered. This means teachers as well as students would not copy and paste ANYTHING from the Internet or from other electronic sources: no text, no images, no audio files, no video files, no animations, or anything else." is nearly impossible when you are trying to enforce rules that will apply to them when they get to college.
We as educators do have a responsibility to teach students about copy wright laws and our legal obligations as citizens. Especially in a time where students are downloading music and movies like crazy.
I will have to say that I am guilty of being fraudulent myself. I should have asked permission in the legal way to show my students "Helen of Troy", but because I was in a time crunch and didn't "feel" like doing things the right way, I went ahead and showed the movie. After being lectured about copy write laws and the responsibilities I have as a teacher and the many many fines that a school could acquire by my actions, I decided that perhaps next time, I will get permission the right way.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it seems unfair that teachers are held to higher standards, but when I think about how much influence educators have on future generations, it makes sense. To loosely quote Spiderman, but having greater power we also accept greater responsibilities.

    ReplyDelete