Monday, June 7, 2010

Blooms Taxonomy

I think as educators, we integrate the higher levels of Blooms Taxonomy without even realizing it. If I am teaching cause/effect through internal and external conflict and I model a scenario where I analyze the effects of that particular scenario, and then ask them to "Create" a scenario that collaboratively they will work on analyzing the effects, labeling whether or not it is internal conflict or external conflict and then choosing a different path to change the outcome of the scenario, I have hit at least 2 different types of higher order thinking.
As I am a reflective teacher in general, I noticed that the students scored higher on their independent graphic organizers and their summative assessments simply because I had them on their feet using critical thinking. As a result, the students totally get it. I have to teach internal and external conflict every year the the sophomores that I had last year, were bored with this standard, because they already understood it from the time that I had used the activity before. I think labeling what we do is the most difficult part. My questions for the quiz did not originally fit into the rubric that Alex used, but I did integrate it into my web quest. My position is that it isn't one size fits all, but we do need to be reflective as to how we are using it and making sure we are using it.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your take on Blooms. I find your ideas to be original and refreshing. I agree it is important to cater to your student's needs so that they can have the best learning experience.

    ReplyDelete