Monday, May 31, 2010

Goddard's Article

"Access Through Technology". I do think that teachers have become more sensitive to the needs of our disabled students. When Goddard stated that we need to also include the interests of our disabled students, it reminded me of a student at our school. She is completely blind and wasn't born that way so she's had to learn a whole new way of taking in communication. She has been with another teacher this whole year and then all of a sudden, this semester, she showed up on my roster. Now, please don't get me wrong, I would have done my best to accommodate her, but her previous teacher and I both agreed that it would be in her best interest to stay with her instead of change to a new classroom environment.
Why would they place her in a new class anyway? Her previous teacher had built a relationship with her, matched the best teaching style to her needs, and had the resources available to give the student the most affective learning environment. I think this is where it gets difficult: not only do teachers need to be aware of what student's with disabilities need to have stability, but guidance councilors, administrators, librarians...etc.
children with disabilities video

2 comments:

  1. It's difficult to know what to do when there is a child with a disability. It sounds like you and your fellow teacher put a lot of thought into the proper placement for that student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the decision. In my experience with students with disabilities (the severe end) I have learned that change is not a pleasant thing to participate in. Students need to feel safe and secure in order to learn or improve effectively and change for disabled students does not promote safety and security. Although, it does depend on your view of change within the educational environment (some believe it increases likelihood of improvement in some students).

    ReplyDelete