Monday, May 31, 2010

"Engage Me or Enrage Me"

My first impression of this article was too conveluted with my own experiences that I couldn't see past this sense of entitlement that students have. "these students demand..." My first thought was, why do they feel that they can demand anything from educators? The students don't really pay to go to the school that I teach at and the school corporation certainly doesn't pay me enough to enable these haughty children to do what they feel is fun.
Ok, so that was my initial thought. However, I am a teacher, like most of you taking this class, that wants to integrate some technology into the classroom. My intentions are to engage all learners, not just the ones who are living the separate life at home, but who take their education seriously throughout their home and school life. "and there it is so boring that the kids used to this other life, just can't stand it." there shouldn't be another life. Their lives should have several layers to it, making them who they are as individuals. School shouldn't be so boring they can't stand it, but let's face it...writing a research paper isn't a party for all of us. Wahoo!
This article basically sums it up in one quote, "yesterdays education for tomorrows kids". There are some fundamental basics that students need to learn and they can't always be taught in such a way that it integrates technology, but there are other parts of the curriculum that can integrate things like Greek and Latin root word games, or creating a newspaper article online instead of a book report.

The link I attached is a link our librarian sent to Kerry and I about technology in our classrooms "curriculum sharing"- Just thought you'd be interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment